Monday, February 2, 2009

blinking lights and other revelations

so i bought an ipod.

i've always been a little slow on the uptake when it comes to new technology.  i was one of the last of my friends to buy a digital camera, even though i majored in photography.

i think it's because i'm a little obsessive-compulsive, and once i journey down a road, i don't like to stray.  i journeyed down the old-fashioned-film photography route, and was loathe to learn the new technology.  also, i was a skosh snobbish about it, preferring to stick to my art school roots.

and so it goes with the ipod.  i've spent years cultivating my cd collection.  never owned a cassette tape, the first cd i ever bought was m.c. hammer, circa 1990.  my sister bought a vanilla ice cd the same day in the mall (we agreed to share), and thus began our forays into pop culture.

nineteen years later (nineteen? is that really possible?  i remember BEING nineteen like it was yesterday) my cd collection is a monster.  i attribute it all to my dad, who had a similarly monstrous l.p. collection.  and i'm a purist about my collection - there are no giant cd cases in my car.  a cd is nothing without the liner notes and artwork, and singles are pointless - you have to listen to the whole album.  i'll take one or two cds out of the cabinet and listen to them all week, and then put them back.

thus has been my dilemma with the ipod.  i knew once i bought one, it would drive me crazy to just rip one or two cds into it.  no, i'd have to methodically rip every single one of my alphabetized collection.  all or nothing, baby.

so here i am, about a week post-purchase.  i've been ripping cds faithfully every evening, and right this minute i'm up to "outkast."  so far my collection is 9,344 songs lasting 92.4 days.  i'd estimate that i'm 40% done, because my alphabetized section doesn't include soundtracks, classical music, musicals, box sets, or compilations.

what's the point of this? absolutely nothing.  but i've been spending an inordinate amount of my time on this project the last week, so i thought i'd give you a little glimpse into my latest obsession.

don't ask me how i like the ipod, because i haven't even had time to listen to it.

1 comment:

KaritaG said...

Right there with you. I told someone I didn't watch TV the other day and they were like, so what DO you do in the evenings? And I thought about it..."I read..." I said, "I hang with my friends..." but the truth is that I spend an insane amount of time trying to find new music on iTunes and/or downloading/ripping music onto my iPod. I am not ashamed.