this is an interesting current event to me because i am unitarian. anyhoo.
"Investigators described Adkisson as a former member of an Army airborne unit who trained as a mechanical engineer, but had been out of work since 2006. In a four-page letter found in his SUV, Adkisson expressed his belief that the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church was a haven for liberalism in the typically socially conservative area of Eastern Tennessee."
Another news article described how he was frustrated at being unemployed and that he had found out his government aid and food stamps were being reduced, causing him to reach a breaking point. If I have time today I'll link back to it.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong here, but in the grand scheme of political ideologies, which party is more traditionally responsible for reducing government aid to the needy and social programs in favor of funnelling trillions of dollars overseas to, for example, protect private international oil interests? The liberals, is it? Riiiiight.
Obviously this guy's capacity to reason was staggeringly impaired, but it's just another example of the flawed and unsupported logic that people on both sides embrace in the liberals vs. conservatives battle. People: rise up and get informed. Please. I'm sick of the mudslinging-for-the-sake-of-mudslinging.
2 comments:
I thought mudslinging was what the whole liberal-bashing thing was all about?! My bad. I really like the facebook stickers everyone has that talk about "if you are opposed to the Iraq war, think about how ____ bajillion babies have died this year from abortion as opposed to only _____ soldiers." Hmm, good point, you're right, I would way rather kill soldiers than babies! Thanks for correcting my unreasonable thinking.
That "sticker" assumes that one is opposed solely because soldiers are dieing.
Back to the topic at hand-- The entire Republican stance on the war is not sustainable due to their own spending/taxing principles. Crap. That's not the topic.
The guy's "logic" was incredibly flawed, and quite honestly, too many folks in this country do not take the time to educate themselves. As a whole, we live in a reactionary country where through thought processes are not practiced by even the most educated of persons. Quite honestly, one could even make the argument quite successfully that our education system discourages such free and complete thought.
Anyway...
Post a Comment