and to answer some commonly asked questions, i will post in blog-form an email that i wrote to my friend jessalynn this morning, which actually covered a lot of stuff people have been asking:
the nursery is going to be in our former guest bedroom/office. it's in a transitional phase right now and there will still have to be some office stuff in there once the baby's born because there is some stuff (like J's computer) that we simply have no where else to put. last weekend we were moving some furniture around in that room and discovered that we have termites, so we also have to have that treated next week before we can do any more real work on the room. oh, well, more time for gardening, which also needs to be done.
originally, frugal me was going to use the bedding from Princess's nursery, which a discontinued Carter's pattern, based upon some John Lennon drawings.
it's very nursery-like and also gender neutral. but then i was in the room the other day and realized how BARE the walls are. i don't really want to get into painting, and i can't easily find any good matching wall hangings because this pattern has been discontinued. And THEN I saw THIS and I think it's much more me:

we borrowed a crib from J's mom, and it's old and not a beautiful dark wood like above, but it will work, and I'm just going to use an old dresser for now. we'll buy all new furniture when the baby is ready for a twin size bed, we'll get an entire bedroom suite then that will see her through childhood. i don't see any use in buying a changing table and other things that we'll only use for a year or two. as much as i'd love to have a beautiful, perfectly put together nursery, there are better things we can put that money toward right now. things like termite control.
as far as registering goes, we still have a lot of Princess's baby stuff, so when i get the nursery set up in the next few weeks i will inventory what we have, and also J's older brother and his wife have some stuff we might use, so once i figure out what i have and what i need, i will register then. probably just at Babies-R-Us.m at Pottery Barn Kids, but then again if you're not registering for furniture and nursery linens there, there's not a whole lot more left in that store to register for.
target has super-cute stuff but i've heard awful stuff about their registries. i discovered their new return policy last year when i went to exchange two outfits Princess had received for her birthday. i wanted the same outfits in one size smaller, but apparently you are allowed only $20 worth of receiptless returns or exchanges per YEAR. this is compounded by the fact that their registry has glitches and does not automatically update, so things aren't always removed from the registry when they're purchased and people keep buying them. the result is that you end up with duplicate gifts, and you can't return OR EVEN EXCHANGE them unless the gift-giver has included a gift receipt - even when the gift clearly came off your registry. you are just 100% stuck with two of the same item, which they suggest you "donate to goodwill." and i don't want to be put in the position of having to ask people for receipts - it's so rude.
also, we are not even remotely close to having a name picked out yet. we haven't even decided on the last name. we brought out the baby naming books last night and started making lists, but nothing has jumped out at me. it took me two months to name Gatsby, and this baby is due in four, so that does not bode well.
i think that's all for now. have a great weekend!
5 comments:
I love the bedding! I love trees! I love babies! It all goes together so well! That's too bad about Target, I didn't know about that new policy - we used them for 99% of our wedding presents and it worked out really well. That new policy makes me want to write a letter!
i know! i discovered it when i returned the two outfits (four total pieces), and they only let me exchange two of the pieces ($20 worth) and then jake had to come in separately and exchange the other two (another $20 worth) and now we're both banned from returns or exchanges for a year.
i wrote a LIVID email to them on their website, but i'm sure it will have no effect, because when i started researching where to register i came across SCORES of consumer advocacy websites where people have recounted their horror stories with the new target return/exchange policy. which is basically that there ARE no returns/exchanges without an original receipt, under any circumstances, ever.
screw that!
YAY FOR A GIRL! AND YAY FOR CUTE FABRIC. I love the trees!
I have no idea what Jake's last name is--can you combine the two? I know a Tanner and a Zeiss that made their child's last name Zanner.
and yeah, target is a mess in that regard. AND depending on the time of year, even when you're CLEARLY ordering off of a registry they do not automatically print you a gift receipt. when I bought my friends a baby bath last year and they got two I was super glad I made the very annoyed dude at customer service re-ring my purchase and get me that gift receipt. ugh.
there is ONE good thing about their non-registry-related return policy though--that if I bought something there and lost my receipt I can just have 'em swipe my card to return it. so that's cool. I mean it sucks that they're logging everything somehow, but I like the convenience.
'Addison' is already taken. :)
I dig the trees and am disappointed in Target too. I LOVE love love that store, and lately they have pissed me off several times. Hmph. I'm about to give up big box stores all together I think. They are annoying.
Post a Comment